Mutual Riverfront Park located at 41 Hamburg Street on the Buffalo River was named after the once famous Mutual Rowing Club which stood nearby in 1900 and produced champion rowers.
The Lake Erie ice boom needed to be relocated from the Outer Harbor and the New York State Power Authority approached the Old First Ward community to put it at its current location. Negotiations proved successful with a beautiful 1.3 acre park complete with a public kayak launch, a decorative concrete wall which hides the ice boom and is located on Katherine Street. The Great Lakes tugboats, a rich part of Buffalo’s shipping and grain industry were retained on site.
The park features rain gardens, walkways, a kayak storage house which is a replica of the Mutual Rowing Club, and the Waterfront Memories & More Museum.